This activity will guide participants in a study of their own environment and lives as a chance to practice archaeology. Participants will choose several items that they intend to throw in the garbage. They will study this future garbage as “artifacts”. By practicing garbology, participants will learn how to sort material types, deduce what will make it into the historical record, and ask themselves what future archaeologists will infer about their lives. Presidio archaeologists will host a demonstration via Livestream providing time for participants to share their observations at the end of the activity.
The Site and Artifact record needed for this activity, as well as an accompanying instruction sheet, are available to download.
- Garbology Instructions (English)
- Garbology Instructions (Chinese)
- Garbology Instructions (Spanish)
- Artifact and Site Record (English)
- Artifact and Site Record (Chinese)
- Artifact and Site Record (Spanish)